Requirements for reporting the birth of a child born abroad to Filipino parent(s)

The birth of a child born in Alberta or Saskatchewan to Filipino parent/s should be reported to and registered with the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA), formerly known as National Statistics Office or NSO, through the Philippine Consulate General (PCG).

When reporting/registering the birth of the child, the following documents should be submitted:

A. Report of Birth Form FA-Form No. 40 (Download  Form) (four originals) 

  • Entries can be TYPEWRITTEN OR PRINTED LEGIBLY. Please use black ink only.

  • Entries must be at the time of birth of the child.

  • The person reporting the birth must appear in person and sign the form in front of the consular officer.


B. Original and four (4) photocopies of the following supporting documents:

B.1.    Child's birth certificate (submit the long form) issued by the Vital Statistics Office of Canada where the name of parents and the place of birth are indicated.

If parents are married: Parents’ marriage certificate.

If parents are not married and the child is using the surname of the fatherAffidavit of Acknowledgment of Paternity (AAP) executed by the father, and Affidavit to Use the Surname of the Father (AUSF) executed by the mother. The mother and/or father must sign these documents in front of the consular officer at the Philippine Consulate General. If submitting by mail, please refer to the section on "Additional Requirements for Applications Submitted by Mail" (please scroll down).

If parents are not married and the child is using the surname of the mother:  Birth certificate issued by the Vital Statistics Office of Canada is sufficient.

B.2     Child’s foreign passport (photocopy data page only)

B.3     Parents’ Philippine passport valid at the time of birth of the child

B.4     Document showing the immigration status of parents at the time of birth of the child (e.g. Permanent

          Resident  Card, Landing Paper/Record of Landing of Parents, Work Permit, or Visitor Visa - as applicable).

B.5.    Affidavit of Late Registration of Birth (Download Form) if ROB is being reported after twelve (12)

          months from the time of birth. Affidavit must be signed at the PCG.  Notarization Fee: CAD 36.25

B.6     Certificate of Naturalization of parents, if applicable.

B.7     Philippine citizenship reacquisition/retention documents (Identification Certificate, Order of Approval,

          Oath of Allegiance), if applicable. 

C. ROB processing fee of CAD 36.25 in cash or money order/bank draft made payable to the “Philippine Consulate General Calgary”. (Note: Please use these exact words. Do not abbreviate. Otherwise, the bank will not accept your draft/money order) Do not send cash in your mail. Personal cheques are not accepted.

D. Self-addressed envelope

Applicants who will apply in person but want their documents to be mailed back to them should submit a self-addressed prepaid envelope from a courier service of their choice.




a.  The ROB Form and affidavits (AAP, AUSF, affidavit of late registration) must be notarized by a local notary public.

b.  The notarization by a local notary public must be authenticated by:


     For birth that took place in ALBERTA:                         Deputy Provincial Secretary's Office

                                                                                          Room 111, 9833 109 Street

                                                                                          Edmonton ABT5K 2E8

                                                                                          Phone:  780-427-5069

       For birth that took place in SASKATCHEWAN:           Ministry of Justice

                                                                                          Authentication Services

                                                                                          800 - 1874 Scarth Street

                                                                                          Regina SK   S4P 4B3

                                                                                          Phone: 306-787-2951


c.  Authorization letter if submitted through a representative.

Mailed applications should likewise include the applicant's contact details (telephone and/or email address) in case the PCG needs to get in touch with the applicant for further information on the documents submitted.

* Applicants who applied in person but want their documents to be mailed back to them should submit a

  self-addressed prepaid envelope. 

Note:     Additional documents may be required by the action officer from the applicant upon evaluation of the 

              requirements to determine the citizenship, identity or eligibility of the child for registration of birth

              under Philippine law.


Applicants are served on a first-come-first-served basis. There is no need to book an appointment.

The Consular Officer reserves the right to require additional proof or documents from an applicant to prove his/her citizenship, status or identity pursuant to Philippine Passport Law (RA 8239) and the Foreign Service Act (RA 7157).

Application for passport immediately after the submission of Report of Birth

If the parents intend to apply for a Philippine passport for their child after the processing of the Report of Birth, the child will also be required to be physically present at the PCG. Passport application booking is not required for minor applicants aged 7 years and below. Please refer to list of requirements on Passport Application for Minors.

Frequently Asked Questions on ROB:

  • Is my child eligible to a Philippine citizenship even if he/she was born in Canada?


When a child is born abroad to parents who are both Filipino citizens or to one (1) parent who is a Filipino citizen, i.e. one who has not been naturalized as a citizen of a foreign country, the child is considered a Filipino citizen and the child's birth must be immediately reported to the Philippine Embassy or Consulate which exercises jurisdiction over the place of birth.

  • When should I report the birth of my child to the Philippine Consulate General?


Ideally, the birth must be reported to the Philippine Consulate General within twelve (12) months after its occurrence. When the parents neglect to report the birth within twelve (12) months, the birth may, nevertheless, be recorded upon the determination of the consular officer of satisfactory evidence on the authenticity of the report. In these cases, the person submitting the report shall be required to execute an Affidavit explaining the delay in reporting the birth.

  • Why should I report the birth of my child to the Philippine Consulate General?

The Report of Birth is a declaration of the person furnishing information on the birth abroad of a Filipino child. It is important for Filipinos permanently residing abroad to promptly register with the Philippine Consulate General the birth of a child in order for such a birth to be registered with the the Philippine Statistical Authority (PSA).

  • How do I get a Report of Birth issued by the Philippine Statistics Authority (formerly the National Statistics Office)?


Please note that a PSA- authenticated copy of the Report of Birth/Marriage/Death may be requested from the Philippine Statistics Authority only after six months from the date of filing of said report at the Philippine Consulate General. To request a PSA-copy of the ROB, you may go to or or  

Scroll Up